Mediation: Skills and Strategies
A practical guide to learning skills, strategies and techniques for effective mediation
This title is also available in Practitioner Book Online format.
PBO ISBN: ONLB0MSSSU
Select a format
Mediation: Skills and Strategies focuses on the practical operation of the mediation process, with particular reference to the skills and techniques which can be used by mediators in their formal and informal roles as helper, facilitators, and supporters of decision making.
Recognising that mediation is not only an ‘art’ but also a process that can be “understood, analysed, learned, practiced and improved”, the authors have developed this work to assist practitioners and students of mediation to develop the problem solving, negotiation and decision making skills that are so critical for effective mediation.
Adapted for New Zealand students and practitioners from the work Mediation Skills and Techniques by Boulle and Alexander, Mediation: Skills and Strategies complements the well regarded and comprehensive work Mediation: Principles, Process, Practice also by Boulle, Goldblatt and Green. It provides an invaluable addition to the library, learning and reference resources of current and aspiring mediators.
- All mediator skills and techniques link to the New Zealand professional standards
- Text is written in plain English
- Focus is on the practical knowledge and skills
- Illustrations and case studies are provided to explain important points
- A range of documents and precedents are provided in the appendices
Each chapter contains
- Case illustrations
- Mediator learning (highlighting key points contained in each chapter)
- Tasks for new mediators
Table of contents
- Chapter 1Mediation Skills and Strategies*
- Chapter 2 Intake, Screening and Other Preliminaries*
- Chapter 3 Maintaining a Favourable Climate*
- Chapter 4 Diagnosing, Defining, Designing
- Chapter 5 Managing the Mediation Process
- Chapter 6 Assisting the Communication Dynamics
- Chapter 7 Facilitating the Negotiations
- Chapter 8 Encouraging Settlement
- Chapter 9 Variations in the Mediation Process
- Chapter 10 Special Issues in Mediation
- Chapter 11 Avoiding Mediator Traps
- Chapter 12 Developing a Practice and Practising Mediation