Legal Research in New Zealand
Legal Research in New Zealand focuses on the elements and sources of New Zealand law with emphasis on developing an efficient research methodology, and the skills for comparative assessment of alternative legal resources. There is also guidance to carrying out legal research involving other (especially related) jurisdictions.
Select a format
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Legal Research in New Zealand provides a detailed examination of the process of legal research. Aimed primarily for use by law students the book is presented in three parts:
• Part 1 sets the parameters of the process: defining legal research and presenting its typologies; identifying the main types of legal research methodologies; providing frameworks for undertaking the legal research process; examining the skills required; detailing the requirements for research integrity; and covering the practicalities of selecting a topic and refining a research question.
• Part 2 addresses the fundamentals of dealing with legal information: the specialist nature of legal language; types and formats of legal information; how law libraries present legal information; and practicalities for searching in the online environment.
• Part 3 provides guidance for specialist areas of legal research: Kaupapa Maori legal research; Maori and indigenous legal issues; law in other jurisdictions; public international law; historical legal research; and an introduction to the use of legal theory for legal research.
Legal Research in New Zealand explores various legal sources, how to find them and how to go about best using them in a practical and user-friendly style. It is a valuable resource for all students of New Zealand law.
Scragg, R. (ed) Legal Writing: A Complete Guide for a Career in Law (2014)
Krever, R. Mastering Law Studies and Law Exam techniques (2014)
Webb, D. Sanders, K., and Scott, P., The New Zealand Legal System: Structures and Processes, 5th edition (2010)
Table of contents
Part 1: Understanding Legal Research
1. Legal research
2. The legal research process
3. Legal theory and legal research
4. Thinking skills
5. Research integrity
6. Starting the research question
Part 2: Understanding Legal Information
7. The legal information framework
8. Primary sources: legislation
9. Primary sources: case law
10. Secondary sources
11. Understanding databases and the online environment
Part 3: Specialist Research
12. Researching public international Law
13. Researching kaupapa Māori
14. Researching indigenous custom law
15. Researching legal history
16. Using legal resources from other jurisdictions
New!Questions and Answers: Torts, 4th edition and Butterworths Student Companion: Torts, 7th edition (Bundle)New!Release Date: November 29, 2023NZD$ 75.00
Butterworths Student Companion Family Law, 2nd edition and Family Law in New Zealand, 21st edition (Bundle)Release Date: October 25, 2023NZD$ 175.00
Student Companion: Criminal Law, 6th edition and Questions and Answers: Criminal Law, 5th edition (Bundle)Release Date: April 12, 2023NZD$ 75.00