Directors and Managers Law Made Easy 2017 (eBook)
Please choose your device carefully and only download your eBook to the device on which you intend to read it. eBooks cannot be moved from one device to another and are only compatible with the following software:
PC Users: Adobe Digital Editions
iPad or iPhone: Bluefire Reader
Not compatible with Kobo eReader
* eBooks will be fulfilled in one to two business days.
Enables directors and managers to understand their powers and duties quickly and clearly, allowing them to manage their legal risks, avoid liability and increase efficiency.
Directors and managers are facing strong headwinds. Policy makers in the post-GFC era are tough on compliance. Directors are required to stay on top of their obligations, and the costs of not doing so can be severe. Meanwhile, directors are having to navigate companies through low-growth market conditions. There is increased pressure to beat the market. In these conditions it is tempting to let compliance take a back seat. But today this is simply too risky.
Directors and Managers Law Made Easy helps directors and managers stay ahead of their legal obligations. It provides up-to-date commentary in plain English, covering real situations, written specifically for the New Zealand market. Its accessible style does not compromise on conveying the substance of the law. Giving directors a sound knowledge of the basics of the relevant law will provide them with more time to focus on directing and managing the business.
All the big issues facing directors are covered. This includes the directors’ duties found in the Companies Act 1993 and in the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015. It also covers directors’ powers when delegating to employees, signing documents and holding meetings. This book focuses on practical advice and analysis. Simple steps go a long way to limiting exposure, avoiding penalties and increasing business efficiency.
- Health and Safety Law Made Easy
- Employment Law Made Easy
- And 8 more titles in MyLawGuide’s Law Made Easy series
Table of contents
- Who is a director?
- What is a board of directors?
- Directors' duties
- Company's best interests
- Serious breach and criminal liability
- Compliance with Companies Act 1993 and constitution
- Proper purpose
- Care, diligence and skill
- Relying on others' advice
- Transactions involving self-interest
- Interests register
- Health and Safety at Work Act 2015
- Delegation to employees
- Delegation to professional advisers
- Checklist: reviewing externally prepared financial reports
- Company authority
- Signing agreements
- Template signing deeds
- Authority to bind company
- Delegation of authority policies
- Shareholder approval
- Formal meetings
- Appointment to office
- Statutory remedies for breach
- Statutory penalties for breach